Monday, November 9, 2015

Surrounded!!! Knowing When to Quit.

While participating in EnPleinAir Texas, I had the opportunity to paint on some beautiful ranch land. One afternoon, I spotted a group of cows lounging in the afternoon sun. They looked very relaxed, and I though it would be a great opportunity to paint them.

I parked the truck and removed my gear, but within minutes I was surrounded.  Check out the cows sneaking up on me through the brush.



This didn't deter me. I set up my gear and started painting a group that was only a few feet from me. They just stood and stared, all the while drooling.

About 15 minutes into the painting, I realized that the larger cow on the right was a bull, as he decided to start rubbing his head against the back of my truck. Before he could do any serious damage, I clapped my hands, and every single cow fled the scene.

That left me without any models, but I decided I liked the painting anyway. I left the piece in the dashed off state that it was, something I would normally never do. The finished piece sold the moment the show opened.  My thanks to the bull for stopping me from overworking the painting!

"The Spooked Herd" (oil on panel, 12"x16")
by Patrick Saunders

6 comments:

  1. You deserve the Plein Air Medal of Bravery! Meanwhile, I say: Bravo for that wonderful painting - Love those blue-violet tones on your models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gayle. Not brave at all. They were all very sweet, including the bull.

      Delete
  2. I love this painting! So glad to have you at EnPleinAirTEXAS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. All credit goes to you and your team for such a wonderful event.

      Delete
  3. Great painting, great story, great adventure. Reminds me of my childhood growing up on my grandpas farm and going to feed the cattle with him... I could just picture the cows staring at you, chewing their cud, drooling. Also reminds me of painting on the beach at Waikiki and suddenly having that feeling that I was "being watched." I looked behind me and there was a whole group of shall we say "indigent types" just sitting there watching me with all my expensive cameras, etc., laying there. I had unknowingly set up right next to a meth clinic and they had come for their weekly drug allotment! After I got over the initial shock and fear, I became the recipient of many pointers and instructions on how to correct my painting of Diamond Head! Was glad to get out of there alive with all my Plein Air equipment, even if I did leave my ego behind. Keep up the great posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Waikiki! I hope to get there one of these days to paint!

      Delete